Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 2- Intro to Rehab


Recovery to Strengthen the Mind and Body

I basically need to relearn how to walk and bend with proper alignment. I bought some insoles for my arches today (which involved me walking in -12 degree weather omg. 

I received a reminder yesterday from a trainer that weight training rips your muscles and nutrition helps them recover. I knew this, but hearing it from someone else really made me think that me "taking it easy on my leg" for two weeks with no training at all could have possibly been a better experience if I exercised other parts of my body and ate clean. Instead I splurged and basically said "I'll get back on track when I get back to the city and settled." That was for about two weeks. He also reminded me that I'm too young to have problems with my knees like this...and it's because I haven't been taking care of my body. I've been strictly weight training with small amounts of cardio, no versatility in my way of training (not including a significant amount of pilates or yoga), and not eating completely clean. 

So yesterday night I meal prepped! Making an effort to prep my own food so I can stay on track helps me stay more committed. I also called my Hot Yoga studio and asked them to put my unlimted class package on hold until I heal up because I will fix this. I'm honestly not sure exactly if I will get my full flexibility back in my right leg, but I have faith that I can make my circumstances a bit better and reduce my chances of making it worse. I'll give it a month. If it's not getting better then I will go see a doctor. I don't wana waste my money if I can fix this myself. 

Today I:
-walked on the treadmill for 45minutes focusing on a way to walk that doesn't make my knee click or ache 
-a series of plank exercises 
-every pilates hip strengthening exercise I could think of (arcs, pulses, figure 8s)

The hardest thing right now is accepting that I need to take care of my body and there is no way around it. I've realized weight training is my passion and a true love of mine. Simply exercising is awesome as well, but weight training is what makes me truly feel like a better person. I have decided to weight train my lower body for about a month and just stick to body weight and slight resistance training (eventually). I opted out of hot yoga for now because I have a tendency to overstretch my muscles all the time. Until I can be responsibly aware of my movements I'm going to rehab this out. 

#faithanddedication
Shi


No comments:

Post a Comment